Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I.O.U.'s

Going through a verse-by-verse study of Philemon (such a small book packed with so much stuff!), some friends and I were amazed that Paul would ask to have the runaway slave's debt charged to him. In this little letter, Paul sends his friend, Philemon, an I.O.U. I can't say for certain what the debt was. Onesimus owed Philemon something (whether money or not isn't clear) and the amount is never mentioned but Paul says he will pay. I don't know about you, but the thought of paying off what someone else owes goes completely against my nature -- unless it's for one of my kids.

But that's what Paul is doing. He says, "For love's sake, welcome your runaway slave back. He is now your brother. Don't worry about what he's done or what he owes you. I've got him covered."

And that's what Jesus does for us. He tells the Father, "For My sake, welcome your prodigal home. She is Your daughter. Don't charge her with the debt she owes. I've got her covered ... With My blood." What relief! What grace! What wonder!

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Split Decisionz